Mbeki says action in Anjouan was 'unfortunate'

Publié le par achaha

March 25, 2008, 17:15


President Thabo Mbeki has described this morning's AU (African Union) backed military operation on the Comoros Island of Anjouan as "unfortunate".

The invasion started just before dawn in a bid to capture rebel leader Mohamed Bacar, whose election last year as president of Anjouan has never been recognised by the international community.

Reports say the forces have now gained control of the airport and the city centre. President Mbeki says the operation should never have happened.

Mbeki says negotiations rather than the military action was possible to resolve the conflict in Anjouan. He added that Bacar had written to Foreign Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma with a pledge to hold elections in two months.

Source: SABCNEWS, South Africa



Commentaire:

Cette affaire est à suivre....

Publicité
Pour être informé des derniers articles, inscrivez vous :
Commenter cet article